About Our Company
History of Paffrath’s
Starting out as a watchmaker in Wadena and then Duluth, Minnesota, Rudolf “Rudy” Paffrath saw his future in the diamond business. With his young wife, Katherine, Rudy relocated to the thriving railroad town of Willmar, Minnesota. It was here that Rudy sold the very first Paffrath diamond. The year was 1926. The rest is history!
Rudy’s son, Lowell, would recall being at the store with his Dad, watching him interact with customers and learning the skills of a true watchmaker and diamond merchant. He was determined to some day add his talents to his father’s trade. In 1951 Paffrath Jewelers became Paffrath & Son Jewelers. Lowell proved to have a remarkable energy and a natural instinct for the business.
During Lowell’s tenure several changes took place. Paffrath’s stopped selling plate ware and silverware and strictly became diamond and bridal merchants. Ted Paffrath, one of Lowell’s son’s, took over Paffrath & Son Jewelers in the 80’s and changed the name back to Paffrath Jewelers and he also moved the business to Owatonna, MN. In late 2013 Ted passed away from a tragic accident and his daughter Callan Paffrath, pictured to the right, took over the business on 1/1/2014.
Callan Paffrath always planned to take over the family business. She went to school at the University of Wisconsin – Stout and graduated with her Bachelors degree in Business, in store operations and retail management. She also studied and gained her certificate in CAD jewelry design, gained her DCA certificate and is currently going to school for her GIA certificate. This business is her passion, customer service is her priority and she loves the town she was born and raised in and can’t wait to continue to continue the legacy that was her father.